Website designers don’t always understand SEO
You’ll learn about the sort of questions you need to be asking your website design company when they are redesigning your website.
On average people redesigning their website about every 3 to 5 years and it’s a perfect time to think about how well you want the new website to work in the search engines. Here’s 5 SEO questions we think you should be asking your web designer:
- Can I edit the meta tags? A surprising number of content management systems (CMS), still don’t allow you to edit meta tags effectively. You need to a separate way to edit the meta title, meta description and meta keywords. You also need to be able to add new meta tags as this is required for services such as Google’s Web Master Tools.
- Will the design allow enough text on the pages? Search engines are getting smarter but they still need words and phrases to work out what your website is about. You need room for at least 200 words on each page preferable more.
- Can I plug in social marketing? If you’re not on Twitter, Facebook or one of the other social networking websites you may be missing out on opportunities. Will your new website support plugging these in when you need to.
- Will the search engines be able to understand the URL? Search engines like to be able to gain information about a page from the URL. So www.anysite.com/widget/tall/green.htm is more helpful than www.anysite.com/?cat-id=4453.php.
- Easy to update and add new pages. Just how easy will it be to add and update the pages? This is one of the most important things to help with SEO. Websites that are regulaly updated (meaning daily or every few days) do much better. Ask your web designer if you can try out the CMS beforehand so you know how easy it is to use.
We’re updating our Guides and SEO Training Course all the time. Subscribe to our RSS Feed and we’ll let you know when they’re ready. You won’t receive any emails and can unsubscribe any time.
Feel free to Share or Save this Guide using the button below…
Free SEO Analysis of your website sent to you within 24 working hours. Read Testimonials...